The transition. It’s probably the most distinctive elements of triathlon that you simply simply don’t get with different sports activities. Though for some it’s merely an opportunity to take a brief break earlier than shifting on to the following leg, for others it’s extra necessary and doing it effectively may resolve the result of a race. Regardless which camp you fall into, having a transition constructed upon strong fundamentals will assist scale back race-day stress and set you up for general success out on the course. We’ll take a fast stroll by a “lightning quick” transition so you may get a really feel for what blazing quick transitions (90 seconds or much less) appear like.
Getting ready on your race transitions is vital. [Photo courtesy of Pixabay]
You Should Do Your Homework
As a result of each race is completely different, doing all of your homework within the days earlier than a race is essential. Some triathlons are point-to-point, which means it’s a must to put together for 2 separate transition areas. Iron-distance races usually have transition baggage, particular wants baggage and altering tents. Usually these long-course races don’t even help you setup gear by your bike. The purpose is: you must do your analysis and know what you might be entering into, as it’s going to have an effect on the way you setup race morning. Right here, we’ll hold it easy and take a look at the commonest situation of only one transition space. Let’s discuss establishing.
Setting Up and Going Via The First Transition
It’s zero darkish thirty, you’re uncertain whether or not or not you might be pleased to be awake but, and it’s time to arrange your space. Easy is the secret for high quality transitions. This considering could also be a bit Spartan for some, however the much less it’s a must to go incorrect and fret in regards to the higher. As you arrange for race day and are working in the direction of simplicity, hold these two concepts in thoughts:
- Do as a lot as you probably can whereas shifting.
- Bend over as little as attainable.
These two ideas present a very clear lens by which you view your setup. Let’s leap in and apply the ideas to your first transition. Just one to 2 issues completely should occur inside the transition space as you come out of the water. That’s it. All else is extraneous. First, when you’ve got a wetsuit on, it wants to return off. Second, it’s a must to put your helmet on. Every thing else can, theoretically (relying on gear), be taken care of as you progress, assuming you setup accurately.
What does a very good setup are likely to appear like? Listed below are some concepts:
- Put a towel down if permitted. This can assist dry your toes and function a visible cue on your space.
- Place closest to you something you must contact straight away. For instance, further gear you might bend over to seize for the bike leg (like a software equipment, diet, tubular sealant). In case you bend over it must be tremendous straightforward to seize. Usually occasions you may merely tape this stuff to the bike and keep away from this altogether. Rubber banding gadgets collectively isn’t a nasty concept if you’re caught with this feature, although.
- If you wish to keep away from blisters by sporting socks, put these up entrance and have them as able to go in your toes as attainable (i.e. for longer socks roll the mouth again a bit so you may simply slip your toes in).
- Put your run footwear within the again. In case you’re doing shorter races, I extremely advocate some type of elastic fast laces (resembling Lock Laces) so you may simply slide the footwear on and go with out tying them.
- In case you plan to run with a hat or visor, place that both on high of your footwear or proper beside them so you may put it on rapidly both proper earlier than or after you get your footwear on.
- In case you are required to run with a race quantity, use a quantity belt and put it on when you’re operating.
- Connect the helmet to your handlebars in a roundabout way so you may rapidly seize it and put it on with out bending over.
- If in case you have clip-in footwear and pedals, clip the footwear into the pedals prematurely and use rubber bands to maintain the footwear horizontal so you may slide your toes in them as you pedal.
- Connect your sun shades to your body so you may seize them as soon as you’re going and put them on.
- Connect your diet to your body and, if attainable, prepare it within the order you intend to make use of it.
- If the climate shall be further difficult (tremendous scorching, chilly), plan to place further fluids, salt capsules or garments in your space so you may adapt as needed for the circumstances. I’ll typically pack an additional bottle of sport drink with ice on actually scorching days simply in case I botch my hydration on the bike by a bit bit.
And You’re Off: Strolling Via The Race
So now you’re all arrange and your transition space is able to roll. Let’s do a fast visualization of the way it all appears because the race progresses. First, earlier than you even start the race, have this thought in your thoughts: you must be ready for something. You may have probably the most excellent setup on the earth, however you might be within the midst of tons of of athletes. Your stuff might get knocked over or got rid of your bike, so be prepared to regulate. Beginning with this mindset will construct psychological toughness and prevent some panic within the warmth of the second.
As quickly as you might be up and operating out of the swim, peel your wetsuit (when you’ve got one) all the way down to your waist and take away your cap and goggles. If you get to your transition space, peel your go well with all the way down to your toes, step on it with one foot and pull the alternative leg out. Repeat on the opposite aspect. If completed effectively, it will go tremendous rapidly. Utilizing some type of lubrication (like TriSlide or BodyGlide) in your ankles is tremendous useful right here, too.
Having a strong understanding of and technique for transitions is vital. [Photo courtesy of Pixabay]
Subsequent, seize any further gear you could have that’s not on the bike and stow it in your jersey pockets. After that, seize your helmet, snap it on and get going!
After you mount the bike and start pedaling, you may get into your footwear and tighten the straps. That is additionally when you may placed on sun shades or pull stuff off your body and put it in your pockets. In case you can time this all so it occurs on a downhill it is going to be much more environment friendly and you’ll lose much less time getting located.
After you crush the bike leg and are practically again, it’s time to show your thoughts to getting ready on your transition. Very like the primary time round, solely two issues really want to occur inside transition: you must rack your bike and get your run footwear on – all else is further.
As you method the transition, you must loosen the straps in your footwear, pull your toes out (I put mine on the tops of my footwear) and prepare to dismount. You are able to do a flying dismount if you would like, or you may cease and do it below extra management. The distinction is a couple of seconds – do what feels most comfy to you. From there, search for your towel or different landmarks, rack the bike and slide your footwear on. If in case you have issues to seize for the run (hat, salt capsules, quantity belt) seize that and go. This transition needs to be even quicker than the primary.
And that’s it. All of your transitioning is completed. Let your thoughts chill out. You simply need to race your race and have enjoyable from right here on out.
Transitions appear straighforward. However within the warmth of the second, issues can rapidly go sideways. So, preparation is vital. And if seconds imply quite a bit to you, having a strong understanding of and technique for transitions is vital. If in case you have every other go-to suggestions for transitioning, please go away them within the feedback beneath. We’d love to listen to them!
Extra on triathlon preparedness:
Triathletes: Personal the Transition With Brick Exercises